20 Years Cancer Free.
It’s pretty crazy to remember that 20 years ago I was
fighting for my life.


Having
and surviving a terminal cancer has determined the majority of my life – from
pursuing a career in pediatric physical therapy -- to gaining lifelong friends
who also survived cancer -- to the many precious beliefs of life I hold dear.
Cancer has somewhat defined me…nah, refined me.
But
to think back to April 9th 1996, when I was released from the
hospital after my experimental autoglous bone marrow transplant, is vulnerable
yet celebratory moment. At the time, we didn’t know it would save my life or if
I would just relapse once again. It was risky. And despite cancer having always
been part of my story, tempting me to fade the significance of this moment into
the background of my history, I want to stop and celebrate the outcome of that
risky decision way back when. I want to celebrate life.
To celebrate the big anniversary, I wanted to rejoice in
opportunity for the moments I have today. I wanted to be surrounded by the ones
I’ve lived to become best friends with, the ones I’ve served with and been
served by, the ones I’ve dated and been vulnerable with, the ones I’ve mentored
and have grown with, and the ones who I’ve walked through a copious amount of
celebrations with.
Having friends who love celebrating is the best. I felt
utterly loved and adored that night. I still do and I don’t want to take a
moment like that for granted, now or ever.
Surviving cancer isn’t about beating a dumb disease; it’s
about the opportunity it gives to grow into someone who understands the value
of life. Life is precious, fragile, and I’ve had far too many friends for far
too short of a period of time because cancer ended their life. I celebrate for
them and I celebrate for me.
Life is an opportunity to do good, to believe in risks, and to
hope in the overcoming the odds set before us. I’ve been blessed enough to see God
overcome the odds of terminal cancer, which really was just the start to a
theme of restoration that played out again and again throughout my life. It’s a theme that God will continue display as
I trust in His restoration – the purposeful transition of blemish into beauty.
Looking back on 20 years of restoration has been a glorious
reminder of God’s never-yielding power and grace over my life. Looking around
me, at the goofballs pictured, I am reminded of the support and friendship each
has preciously shared with me, and the restoration each has undergone simultaneously
to mine. You may not know the details from these photobooth gems, but the
stories I’m surrounded by are incredible and have created some of the most phenomenal
people on earth. And I’m totally not biased ;D
And lastly, I am pumped to look forward, knowing I get to
keep overcoming, by God’s grace and power, and celebrating all the
cancerversaries to come! Praise be to God for our daily opportunity to live,
overcome, cherish, and flourish wherever we’re planted!
(If anyone wants a copy of one of these photos, just let me know and I'm happy to share!)










