Monday, July 26, 2010

Lessons learned in India, Part 1.


My life, as of now and back in the States, consist of trying to implement these into my daily routines and thoughts to help create a life more centered on God's kingdom and purpose. 



1. Read the Bible more. 
While in India, I was randomly asked by a Roman Catholic father "Why should we go to others for healing prayer when we can just present the request straight to Jesus?" My response was James 5:14-16, one of the 10 verses I knew I could quickly find in the Bible. Little did I know that this was the unknown answer he said he'd been looking for from friends for the past FIVE YEARS. I felt more than honored by the Lord using me, who only knows about 10 verses, to answer his son. This, plus other similar experiences in India, showed me just how much impact my simple knowledge of His Word can change the lives of others and has really made me have to desire to know it more and more.

2. A heart of constant prayer.
So often in India, I was stuck up on a "pulpit" told to preach or pray. So often, I endured sights that broke my heart causing all words to be lost. Many times when visiting patients, I wanted to heal their deformities but knew not a single treatment season could help. A couple of times, I experienced spiritual attacks. Often, I was simply uncomfortable in unknown situations. EACH of those times, I needed prayer desperately. Daily, even in the less shocking US and sometimes seemingly mundane life, I need to be in constant communication with Him.

3. Pray with the Holy Spirit leading.
On countless occasions, I was thrown into situations where I had to pray for others. Easy right? Well, for me, it wasn't. I yearned for the Lord to use me to say just the right things for these empty souls and to pray for things they truly needed. When the Holy Spirit didn't lead (because I didn't ask or listen) I stumbled with words and prayed cliche phrases. Then the times the Holy Spirit did lead, I found myself crying out for areas of their lives that I would have never thought about praying for and with words that rattled off with ease. It was in these precious moments that I could feel the Lord moving through "my" words to transform the lives of whom I was praying for.  It was in these moments, that the Holy Spirit filled me with the power to heal them, mentally and physically. Now who would want a prayer of any other kind?

4. Incorporate Christ into more of my conversations.
Robert was one of the most genuine and soft-hearted evangelist I've ever met. Preaching about Jesus in India is a completely different game than in the US, but no less of importance. I was put on the spot in the mist of conversations to teach about God which was hard but allowed me to grow in my "evangelism skills." I developed a little more confidence to just talk about what the Lord is doing in my life and pray that the Holy Spirit flows from the conversation to spark the listener's interest. I was reminded of the importance of this if we are going to have a full-out, everyone-should-be-there party in Heaven one day.

5. Save natural resources.
I had to pump my water if I needed to wash with it. I had to endure without electricity at random hours on random days, always without notice. I saw countless children and families without food to eat. In America, we forget how thankful we should be with the copious amounts of resources we have. Do the world a favor and reduce the amount of resources you use. Thank you, if you already are.

People I love:

Thanks.

It means a lot to know there is a world out there curious of my thoughts. This purpose of this blog is to be honest and truthful in a creative way that brings God his deserved glory. I hope you can relate to, be inspired by, or simply enjoy the words of my heart.

love wins.

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP