Persistence.
Being an R.A. is hard. I am thrown into a hall of girls who are quite and reserved around me. I am trying to find the delicate balance between being authority and friend. I have to lay down the rules and policies one evening. Then the next, I want to comfort a girl who's grandfather passed away or another who is homesick. All the evidence that they're upset and hurting is there. Yet, they will not admit it me. Not one detail. A fellow R.A. pointed out that we, as imperfect humans, are all so stubborn. As an R.A. it just takes quite a bit of persistence to get to the point where the girls can open up to us. The results are slow to come. But in the end, when they do open up about their situation and come to me for comfort or counsel, it will be completely worth it.
As the fellow R.A. was speaking about this, I kept thinking about how much more persistence God has than me. We are so stubborn. I am particularly stubborn. Our hearts hurt and we cry ourselves to sleep wishing someone would understand how we feel. God gives signs that He is near, yet we pass them off as a coincidences. We continue to hold in our true feelings, possibly putting on a beautiful mask. We continued to hide, God still unknowingly right beside us the entire time. He is persistent and never gets tired of pursuing us until we get to the point where we can open up. The results are slow to come. But in the end, when we do open up about our situation and come to Him for comfort or counsel, it will be completely worth it.