So I took a leap...
I have decided to go to India for 1.5 months this summer. 1.5 months. Honestly, I am scared out of my mind. We have a list of all these things we can't do: Use our left hand, take too many pictures, or wear anything remotely form-fitting. Then there is another list of all the things we need to watch out for: enforcing the false stereotypes about Americans, putting the organization we are working with in danger, Malaria and Hepatitis, and getting kidnapped into the sex trafficking industry. There are serious risks with this trip. Then there are the small piety things that are also consuming my mind. Hating spicy food and having experienced water-sickness last May, I am scare that I may come back 20 pounds lighter. 20 pounds I don't have to lose. I also can’t imagine how I’ll feel while traveling on two 15-hour flights or riding on a train for 50 straight hours. Then there is the more obvious worry about how the Lord is going to help provide the $3000 I need to cover cost of the trip in less than 3 months. I can't quite wrap my mind around all of this yet. I love adventure, yet the idea of this trip is shaking my stability. It is shaking me to the point where I have to FULLY reply on God. And when I do, I am reminded of why I am going...
While in India, I get to hug and love on orphans whom I am convinced will teach me infinitely more than I'll teach them. I get to learn how a family of 50 works and how they base their lives around the Gospel. I get to show love to the disabled children of Calcutta, one of the poorest places on Earth, a place where the children have not been shown love and I have that chance to show them what a bit of the Lord's peace and joy looks like. I get to remind them of His hope. I also have the chance to meet the little girl I've been sponsoring for 2 years. The little girl who has a smile that will bring a smile to your face and who's name translated to "my treasure." Then shadowing a physical therapist for the tail end of the trip, I get to learn how to physically care for some of the physically disabled children of India, all while under the supervision of a true man of God. Not to mention I will be surrounded by a team of 12 that will be covering me and the trip from top to bottom in prayer.
So as I weigh the risk and float between sure excitement and fear, I am focusing on the fact this life is solely about bringing glory to our Father and to seek joy in a life in Him. One purpose, two parts. We are to bring Him glory AND be joyful in Him. Because when we are joyful, completely full of God's love, we will overflow. And once this joy is expressed, the Lord gets even more glory. How beautiful of a cycle is that? [Read Desiring God by John Piper to learn more.]
India, I hope you are ready for the joy that will be overflowing out of me during my visit there. It’s a joy that comes out of excitement for working with two of my passions, children and physical therapy. But the joy that really matters is the joy that will be a deep expression of my love for God and seeing Him get glory by allowing me a beautiful part in His plan in India.