White Coat Ceremony
Near the end of first semester, I had a White Coat Ceremony to mark the moment we received our "doctorate coat." It really was quite exciting as it seemed to make the whole "I'm in a doctorate program at freaking Emory University" feeling a bit more real and not so dream-like. Then to make it even better, my mom told me after the ceremony that the church we were in was the church that she and my dad got married in. Amazing how life creates little circles that connect the past and present.
My girls, minus a couple.
"For there will be days of joy
For there will be elevators of elation
and you will walk triumphantly
in purest joy
along the halls of the hospital
and say Yes to all the dark corners
where no one is listening
For the heart will lead
For the head will explain
but the final common pathway is the heart
whatever kingdom may come
For what matters finally is how the human spirit is spent
For this is the day of joy
For this is the morning to rejoice
For this is the beginning
Therefore, let us rejoice"
- Excerpt from "Gaudeamus Igitur" by John Stone, MD
(inside the program for Martha's white coat ceremony)
A weekend later,
the roles reversed as we celebrated Martha's white coat.
In 2.5 years for me and 3.5 for Martha,
our jackets will change as we get to add on little letters to the ends of our names
our jackets will change as we get to add on little letters to the ends of our names
and we'll politely request you call us Doctor.
Crazy as it seems that I'm here,
I am pumped to see where it all leads,
and as the poem simply says,
"For this is the beginning
Crazy as it seems that I'm here,
I am pumped to see where it all leads,
and as the poem simply says,
"For this is the beginning
therefore, let us rejoice."
So we will!
So we will!

