Defining Freedom.
Holy freedom is living in such a way that fully expresses all that I am capable of through intimacy with the Holy Spirit. Through the building of my relationship with the Trinity, I am capable of yielding righteous fruit and ultimately bringing God the glory He deserves.
Love this city.
Love this city.
But how do I know what I am capable of?
I often believe one's ability or status is subjectively defined by others. Someone gets a job, not because they are most qualified but because they know someone better than the other applicants. Someone is more popular because their personality is louder, not of higher quality. Someone gets the man of your dreams because the timing was better for her than you.
Many circumstances such as these create areas of vulnerability to feel unqualified. Over time, I’ve sadly allowed my vulnerabilities to create a fluctuating self-doubt that I am not of great worth to God’s plans for His holy kingdom.
I read an article about health narratives recently, which talked about using creative writing to improve clinical practice. It’s based on this idea: The better you can perceive your practice, the better care you can deliver. One can improve this perception by representing it through creative writing. The author reminiscences on a single scenario from the perspectives of doctors, IV poles, wheel chairs, and hallways. By seeing a story from all angles, he was then able to hone his reflective abilities, define the medical situation, and highlight the perceptions that were most critical to the moment's decisions.
Beltline Highlights.
Beltline Highlights.
Subjective perceptions can define everything. With so many influences, we have a decision to allow one or the combination of many perceptions define our beliefs on nearly every topic, including ourselves. The sources of influence on our self-perceptions are nearly endless. Society, friends, family, and church are just a few area of my life that have shaped me into who I am or believe I am. Yet, to get to the truth of who I actually am and what I am actually capable of, I have to turn my focus to the ONE perspective that matters above all the others.
As followers of Jesus Christ, we must represent ourselves with the TRUTH of who we are, from God’s perspective. The more we focus our attention to how He see us and not from any other perspectives (not our own or what others may have called us), the better we can deliver His perception and live in holy freedom. With each reminder of His truth, the more we can hopefully see how powerful and beautiful we are as daughters and sons of Christ.
Breaking Chains.
Breaking Chains.
To aid in this transition, I started a little exercise to refocus my self-perceptions on the Truth of God's words. On index cards posted around my room, I wrote:
1) Who I see myself as
2) Who God sees me as
3) Verses to challenge my beliefs, reinforce God's beliefs, or serve as a reminder of His hope.
I prayed into each, revealing stark insecurities and beautiful revelations of who I am.
Below are a few examples I wanted to share. Each is vulnerable, but my hope is that there are others who may relate and need the encouragement just as much as I did.
Below are a few examples I wanted to share. Each is vulnerable, but my hope is that there are others who may relate and need the encouragement just as much as I did.
Refocusing on Light.
Examples:
I see myself as overly-sensitive.
He sees me as gifted with a great deal of mercy, which is a beautiful reflection of his Gospel.
Ephesians 2:4 // God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loves us.
Matthew 5:7 // Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy
I see myself as fearful as abandonment.
He sees me as a daughter whom He’s constantly paving the road ahead for, protecting the path behind for, and walking the journey beside.
Psalm 73:23-24 // Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
I see myself as a people pleaser.
He sees me as a child who hungers to be please those she cares about. And oh, how he satisfies that hunger.
Galatians 1:10 // Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Isaiah 58:10-11 // If you give yourself to the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then your light will rise in darkness and your gloom will become like midday. And the LORD will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones; and you will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail."
Seeking the depths of clarity (in Australia).
Seeking the depths of clarity (in Australia).
I see myself as too career-focused.
He sees me as passionate and dedicated to a dream He sowed in my young heart.
2 Corinthians 5:9 // Therefore also we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.
I see myself as weak.
He sees me as a vessel for his mighty power.
2 Corinthians 12:9 // Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
Isaiah 40:31 // Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.
Sanctuary of His glory and freedom (in Australia).
Soak in the TRUTH.
You are all GLORIOUS within.
ROYALTY and DIGNITY define you for God can/has purified your soul.
You are His glorious BEAUTIFUL BRIDE.
Live out the POWERFUL and FREE LIFE He's called us to.