The Cliffhanger.
I was teaching the kids about Adam and Eve yesterday.
"Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden."
Caden's response: "The Garden you eat in?"
After giggles, I finished the story. Or tried to... the story of Adam and Eve is a cliffhanger. It doesn't end with a happy ending. It ends with God banishing the couple from their perfect world.
I struggled to end the story like that. I didn't know how to give Adam and Eve a happy ending.
Last night at house church, I was given two answers that encouraged my heart:
"Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many were made righteous." [Romans 5:18-19].
In the day I will raise up the booth of David that is fallen and repair its breaches, raise up its ruins, and rebuild it as in the days of old...I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel, and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and drink their wine, and they shall make gardens and eat their fruit. I will plant them on their land, and they shall never again be uprooted out of the land I have given them." [Amos 9:11,14-15]
The "happily ever after" ending:
Jesus's redemption and the hope of returning to the Garden "you eat in".