Verb. It's What You Do.
Last week, I watched the recently released movie The EAGLE. IMDB's synopsis:
"In roman-rules Britain, a young Roman soldier endeavors to honor his father's memory by finding his lost legion's golden emblem."
Lots of fighting. No love story.
The only aspect to draw in the females is Channing Tatum.
Rated 6.4/10 Stars.
Yet, the movie made me think.
WHAT IS HONOR?
It's not a huge virtue in the world of women.
I can be honored by an award to only throw it away several years later.
I can brag about a friend who is accomplishes something great to later have that friendship end.
I can show respect to elders yet forget the honor as they slip from my life.
I can claim to know the definition of honor.
But what does REAL PASSIONATE honor look like?
Channing's character displayed it well in the movie.
He worked hard to gain respect in the sight of ridicule.
Lived with a motivating passion that did not fear what it would cost to regain his family's honor.
He left his family, his land, his comfort to pursue it.
Isn't this what Jesus did to restore God's honor?
Honor is literally defined as: Integrity in one's beliefs and actions.
Integrity is defined as 1) adherence to moral principles 2) perfect condition.
To honor...
is to perfectly believe in your moral principles in a way that yields action that perfectly uphold your beliefs.
It's about believing in something so much that it evokes an unrestrained and active passion.
A passion that is indomitable to outside influences or internal contradictions.
Jesus understood what it meant to honor his Father...
and became the perfect example of it.
Honor. It's taken on a whole new meaning.
And I'm convinced there couldn't be a better verb to describe the actions that I desire to give and restore to my Father.