Thursday, May 27, 2010

India day 1 - 2

After 22 hours of smooth travels, we arrived in Bangalore at 4:30am and had to fight to stay awake all day.

We arrived at the orphanage, meet the children, had orientation, and played the "amazing race," which was a game to help us get acquainted with the culture here. Boy, did it. We were splint into pairs (I was with Taylor) and literally dropped off in the middle of the city. We had a list of 15 Indian items we were to find, haggle for, and then meet at a specific restaurant with the lowest amount paid for all our items. It was a hilarious adventure with T fore sure. One, he is just silly and fun. Two, we didn't know what any of the items were, so we had to ask and then because we are Americans a lot of people tried to rip us off by raising the price 5 times. Insane. I may or may not have lied and told them straight up that I was getting ripped off and that I lived here. Ha. After 2 hours of shopping, we made it to the hotel resturant, without 3 of our items. Apparently very few people in India know what children's chapels, Jelebe, or buchi combs are. For your record if you ever come to India: kid's flipflops, a type of candy, and a lice comb. Despite our lack of these 3 items, T and I won 2nd place because we had the best bribe [Thanks for the cookies, Ellen] for the judges. Sucesss. Our prize? Milkshakes. So good.

I am handling my worst fear here, the food. I am actually doing well with the mildly spicy items. Lots of rice, but that's okay...I like rice (for now.)

The rest of the evening, we planned VBS, played with the kids, and [talked to Dad]. Lots of P-words.

Today, was our first morning of VBS. T, Hillary, and Courtney (a girl who traveled with us but is staying for 5 months) led the nine 4-6 years olds in song, games, skits, b-lessons, and just silliness. I loved every minute of it.

 I taught the b-lesson on John 15:12-14. It's good stuff. Look it up, for I can't really explain it here without the words I can't type.

VBS will continue for 2 more days, then we head off to Calcutta to work in Mother Teresa Homes. I may or may not be back to a computer before then.

Highlight so far:  Repetitively getting made fun off for claiming I was an Indian resident.

People I love:

Thanks.

It means a lot to know there is a world out there curious of my thoughts. This purpose of this blog is to be honest and truthful in a creative way that brings God his deserved glory. I hope you can relate to, be inspired by, or simply enjoy the words of my heart.

love wins.

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP